As you may know, Compaq is a division of HP, so methods of finding the model number are generally going to be the same on either laptop. With that said, I will continue the rest of this article using “HP” referring to both. There are plenty of reasons you may need to know the model number for your HP laptop computer. Perhaps you need to download new drivers, upgrade your hardware or you’re just plain curious and want to know. Here I will show you a few ways that you can find your HP model number.
The Simplest Way:
- Close your laptop and Flip it over, so you can see the bottom.
- There should be a sticker label on the bottom of your laptop casing with your model number, part number and serial number information on it. In most cases there will be a model series number towards the top of the sticker and the full model number near the bottom. The model number should look similar to G61-429WM or CQ60-111EM.
- It is also possible that the label may be located inside your battery compartment or hidden under one of the covers on the bottom of your laptop.
If the label on the bottom of your laptop is missing or unreadable, you may be able to find your model number within your Windows operating system:
- Once your computer is on and Windows is loaded you may be able to find your model number by right clicking on Computer (or My Computer, depending on your version of Windows) in your start menu and clicking on properties. Your model number may be displayed in the window that opens.
- If your model number is not displayed there, you may also find it in the system information utility built in to windows. Navigate your start menu to All Programs (or Programs, depending on your version of Windows), Accessories, System Tools and click on System Information. Your model number should be displayed in the information window that opens.
Another option is to use the automatic product finder tool on the HP support site:
- Open up your web browser (Internet Explorer) and go to http://www.hp.com .
- Navigate to the Support & Drivers page http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html.
- From here you can use the automatically find your products tool. Note, it will require you to install their detection software.
If you are still unable to find your model number, you may be able to find third party system information software that could help, but can’t be 100% relied on to be accurate. If all else fails, contact HP for help.